PHP is a server side scripting which is used to develop websites and web applications. According to w3techs data around 79 percent websites use PHP. It is the most famous and popular language used in the web. PHP began as simple language which could be used alongside HTML but a lot of development has taken place and now it has become a fully object oriented language. Lot of features have been added after PHP version 7. PHP frameworks have also given PHP edge over other programming languages. Frameworks like Laravel, Codeigniter, CakePHP have made the use of PHP very organized and easy. Here the top PHP frameworks for 2019 are discussed.
1. Laravel: Laravel is the top PHP framework and has been a major improved and advanced PHP framework with simplicity. It provides features like default authentication system, Object relation mapper, templating engine and much more inbuilt libraries and classes. It used all the advanced features of PHP 7 and is simple and easy to use to. Laravel has become a de facto PHP framework for users. It is also good at creating REST api’s. the current stable version is 5.8
Github Stars : 52.9 k.
2. Codeigniter: Codeigniter is a quite old PHP framework with small footprint. It is a lightweight framework and played a essential role in popularizing the MVC architecture. It has famous inbuilt libraries like grocery CRUD and ion auth. It is a stable framework and lot of system are have been made with it. The new version of codeigniter is composer enabled. It is very good for first time MVC learners. The current version is 3.1
Github stars : 17.4 k
3. Symfony: Symfony was created in 2005 and is a mature and stable PHP framework used for building enterprise application. Laravel uses a lot of symfony components and the founder of symfony is a major contributer to the development of PHP itself. Symfony is a bit difficult to start with and targets advanced developers that is the reason why laravel have been more famous because of it’s simplicity. The current version is 4.2
Github stars : 21 k
4. CakePHP: CakePHP too is a mature PHP framework and was one of the first framework to introduce scaffolding features which made it a bit slow in terms of performance. It is simple and easy to use. It has many inbuilt features like authentication library, scaffolding tools, security components and more. The current version is 3.7
Github stars : 7.9 k
5. Slim Microframework: With rest becoming more and more famous and the need to creating api becoming more lightweight frameworks like slim and silex grew in prominence. These frameworks are lightweight with database components enabled and which makes them easy to create REST based resource routes which make it easy to create api without installing a big framework. Slim is easy to use and has good documentation.
Github stars : 9.9 k
Other PHP frameworks which are missed in the list are Zend Frameworks, Yii framework, Phalcon and PHPixie. Learning MVC and proper use of REST is important technique which can be implemented in all those frameworks. Nevertheless, frameworks are just tools to create applications rapidly.
Sagun Siwakoti is an Information System Graduate, Web Consultant and IT expert from Nepal who have been working with various Software development companies like Spark Tech, Sunbi Design Studio and Any Tech. He has also been working as IT Supervisor for Kathmandu School of Law. He is a Entrepreneur and runs his own business with Mantra IT Solutions.